Monday, January 5, 2009

The Big Apple

My most recent trip to NY proved to be an amazing experiment and experience. There were amazing and fantastic, as well as unbelievable moments. I had rough experiences as well as self awakening moments. Overall I found that I can do anything I put my mind to. I had wanted to go to New York for a LONG time, but hadn't ever had the guts or the money to do it. Well, this Christmas was a good one with work and I had an amazing friend to go with. I was there only 3 days. It felt like months. I was able to visit all the sights I wanted to and do all the things I said I would.
I skated in Central Park:
I went to the top of the empire state building:
I rode the ferry to Long Island so I could see the Statue of Liberty. I was beyond blessed to have everything taken care of while I was there. We had a place to stay, parties ready for us to go to, and plenty of sights to see. My reality was suspended for those few days. I lived the surreal life that exists in New York. I stayed up until 4 am dancing 2 of the 3 nights there. I visited with people from all over the world and experienced thing I had never done before. It was remarkable. I saw Phantom of the Opera. What a production. The Phantom was genuine with his role and took the audience into his personal lair where we were hypnotized by his voice and sincerity. I went to a swing dance where I spent that night drawing on the love of others as they danced with me. I don't see myself as a great dancer by any means and let those I danced with know that, but enjoyed it no less. Our host, Joy, was amazing. She took us in, showed us around, helped us, and even cooked us dinner on New Years Eve.

She had beds ready for us when we came home and just took us under her wing. I will never forget her hospitality. New Years was cold in NY. The forecast was said that the temperature at Time Square would be (with wind chill) -1 degree. I die when it's below 40 degrees. So gratefully, Joy found us a party to go to. We sat next to swing dance legend, (at least for those of us in Utah) Dawn Hampton.

We watched a wonderful swing dance show and listened to a remarkable live band. I was a little under dressed in my white shirt and tie that I had brought along with me for church the Sunday I spent in Arizona. Everyone else there was either in a nice suit, or a tuxedo. I was very under dressed. By the end of the evening though, I fit right in. After their little show, the band played, the characters sang songs and entertained, and we danced. I was able to dance with a few people I knew, some I had only met that night, and some I will never see again. One, a woman from California, was a remarkable dancer. I had been scared to ask anyone to dance, and she noticed me and invited me to dance with her. It was amazing. After, we went to a house party where there was more dancing. I was taught a little of blues dancing. I spend plenty of money on souvenirs. We spent some time in the shops and Dayla bartered for a nice camera and got a nice discount.
As I said earlier, my New York experience suspended reality. I left and didn't think about home or work, or anything here in Utah. I was completely submersed in the city. I am now home again. I have to go back to work. I have to go back to living day to day. I have to deal with family problems, work problems, friend problems, and everything else. I'm okay with that. I received a vacation from it all, it was suspended for those 3 days I was gone. This is something that will be with me forever and I am eternally indebted to Heavenly Father for providing me with this opportunity and blessing.

No comments: