Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My most recient school experience

This blog was created to show my little frustration about school. I have to say that I still don't like school. It's actually becoming one of the most painful experiences in my life to date. I knew that I wouldn't like school from the beginning. Anything that pins me down isn't my favorite but I seem to put up with it for one reason or another. For example, work, because I like to have money. School is so someday I can have the money to provide for more than just the small toys that I like to have (like the computer that I bought today). Basically family. So I go to school to jump through the hoops. I enter every semester beyond excited for what is to come and ready to do what it takes to succeed, reading the chapters every day, singing the praises of awesome teachers, and staying on top of all the things that have to be done to succeed. But inevitably, every time, I fail. Not only do I fail, I FAIL. I've realized that part of the problem is the way that I take in information. I look around me and see people avidly writing information in their book, taking that information in as quickly as they can. Others talk a lot to try to absorb all the information they can. Some even write every word that the teacher says and are able to take the information, study it for hours and perfectly answer every question in each question. So what I my purpose in all of this...? I honestly don't know. I've tried writing in the book and don't ever look back. I've written down notes on what the teacher says, and then I lose what I'm supposed to be writing because I'm writing information for the last thing they said. I've tried so many other things. I've pretty much given up on trying. I usually just go on with life hoping that coping will get me the C that I want. I'm realizing that everything that I’ve done gets me nowhere. So really this whole school thing has gone from frustration to anger to acceptance to depression. I don't know what's next, but that's where I am now. Plus, work is very stressful. I am now being expected to take a Sunday shift which I promised myself that I wouldn't ever do. Is it worth the experience? I'm not so sure it is.

3 comments:

Gjanden Mitchell said...

Hey man, hang in there. A lot of people go through the same thing. I've felt that way for a very long time, but things will get better. I know for me it was hard to go to school when I didn't really understand what I was going to do with my education. I still don't have an exact idea of what I'm going to do after I graduate, but even having a general idea helps me stay focused. Good luck and best wishes-GJ

jamimer said...

J.T, I'm going to take the liberty of sending you a book that literally changed my life, regarding education. I had the same issues you have now and never had any hope of ever finishing school or "making something of myself". You know how strongly Steve and I feel about the power of good literature and this is a book that could truly change your paradigm. It's not a self-help book based on trendy techniques but rather teaches principles of good education that can empower you to truly "own" your education. - Jayme S.

Jodi Goodwin said...

Hey J.T.!
I'm sorry you feel so frustrated right now. I know the feeling of doing my best and feeling like it's not good enough. I don't know if this will help you, but I used a voice recorder for my classes. I know I'm posting this note a lot later than when you last updated your blog. I had some experiences at BYU-Idaho that made me lose all of my confidence. It took a year and a half to gain it back again. Just know the Lord is looking out for you and that he has a place for you.

Jodi Goodwin